Total Pageviews

About Me

My photo
Reisterstown, MD, United States
A practicing attorney who is trying to find the time to develop a small business designing, making and selling handmade jewelry.

Sunday, January 22, 2012

What is Going On?

I'm sure you are all wondering what the hell I've been up to.  It has been weeks since I updated the blog so I'm going to try to bring everyone up to date.

When I think about what has happened since the last time I blogged, the biggest thing beadwise was doing my first 2 shows.  The first show was not a huge success but I did make back my entry fee.  Of course, I immediately spent what I made on a wonderful handmade scarf that I gave to my daughter-in-law for Christmas.  I'm not sure that really counts as making money.

The second show was much better. It was kind of scary though because we were moving and I had to do the show by myself.  I was lucky that one of the folks I met at the first show was also doing the second show so I was able to go to the bathroom and have someone to watch my shop.  Although my take was only in the 3 digit range, I sold a number of my favorites.  It was hard to see some of them going away.

I am now convinced that I will do more shows.  In fact, I'm planning on entering some juried shows to see what happens.  Before I can do that though, I need to figure out how to make my photos meet their standards.  I've read the rules but I don't have any idea what they are talking about.  I obviously need someone to help me.  I'm not sure if I need a photographer or a computer nerd.  Maybe I need both.  The show I'm thinking of trying to get in is huge.  They average about 4000 visitors each year.  I'll have to start making things now if I want to have enough stock to last through the weekend.  What fun!

The other big thing that has happened is that my husband and I bought a new house and moved.  Our new house has an office/library on the first floor that is going to be my new studio.  I've always had to use a room in the basement or upstairs.  I've never liked it because when I was in the basement, I couldn't hear the doorbell and several people have told me they stopped by but I wasn't home when I was just downstairs working.  Upstairs isn't good either.  Now though, I'm right in the middle of everything and I love it.  I'll post a picture as soon as the room is done.

For some unknown reason, I've had a great December and January as far as sales are concerned.  I've not only sold quite a few pieces, I've sold some of my most expensive pieces.  I always wondered who would spend that much on online jewelry.  Would you spend four or five hundred dollars on something you haven't seen in person?  I'm not sure I would.  Of course, I offer a no questions asked money back guarantee so it is virtually risk free.  I had one customer buy a beautiful aquamarine necklace and then return it when it didn't go with the dress she bought it to go with.  I was happy to take it back.

Maybe all my hard work is finally starting to pay off.  I sure hope so.

1 comment: