Total Pageviews

About Me

My photo
Reisterstown, MD, United States
A practicing attorney who is trying to find the time to develop a small business designing, making and selling handmade jewelry.

Friday, October 21, 2011

I Bet You Forgot I Even Had a Blog, Right?

It has been so long since I've posted anything that I actually had to think about how to post to my blog.  I'm feeling a bit guilty since I made a commitment to myself that I would post at least once a week when I started this process.  Obviously, I've failed miserably.  At any rate, it is time to get back on track and to bring you all up to date with my life, such as it is.

My last post was on September 8th, just after my kids and grandkids returned home.  That always leads to a few days of loneliness and depression.  Oh how I wish I lived in the same town that they live in.  Someday.  I spent the next few weeks dealing with my sprained MCL and the bone bruise I got just before they arrived.  A lot of time spent sitting on the couch, playing computer games and watching tv.  What a boring few weeks.  Normally, I don't turn the tv on at all during the day but I was getting desperate for something to do.  With the exception of going to the doctor, I don't think I left the house for 2 weeks.  No jewelry was made during this period either.  I just wasn't able to overcome the pain or the pain pill stupor enough to get to my studio and be creative.  Mostly I sat on the couch with my leg propped up.  That doesn't give me much to write about does it?

After a couple weeks of nothingness, I began to feel better and was able to cut way down on the pain medication.  My normal attitude and energy began to return.  I knew I needed to do some shopping because (brace yourself...there is actually good news in my life!) I received a job offer that would allow me to stay in Baltimore and live at home.  If you didn't know, I've been commuting from either Boston or Baltimore to Phoenix, AZ to work for the last 4 years.  Getting a chance to work in the same city in which we live, was definitely great news.  I started at Johns Hopkins University as their Director of Intellectual Property on September 21.

In preparation for this, I spent a few days shopping for some new clothes.  My job in Phoenix at ASU required very casual attire.  JHU is much more business attire.  They say they are business casual but the men wear ties.  My boss told me when I asked about the dress code that I could wear anything I wanted as long as I looked "managerial."  While not really sure what that meant, I bought a couple of new suits and dress slacks and blouses.  So far so good.

Of course, having just started a new job, still going to physical therapy for my leg, I didn't have much free time to make jewelry.  Once again, no jewelry was being created.    I've been at my new job for a month now and there is really no reason why I haven't been making jewelry, but I haven't.

Do any of you have any suggestions for getting me back in my studio?  I love making jewelry and I make plans to get back to it.  In fact, I have tons of ideas in my head that I need to let out.  I've been designing pieces in my head for weeks.  However, when it comes time to sit down and start actually creating them, I don't seem to be able to take that first step.

Part of the problem is that before the kids visited, I packed everything away so that the boys wouldn't be tempted to eat my beads.  In addition, our basement leaks and the carpet is torn up in my studio with all the furniture pushed into the center of the room so I would have to bring my supplies upstairs to the kitchen table to work.  I know that if I start back making stuff, all those supplies will stay ont he kitchen table until the studio is put back together.  I have no idea when that will be.  I don't like the idea of having my kitchen be a constant mess because of my bead supplies.  I'm not sure what is worse, the mess or the lack of a creative outlet.

Recently it has become more complicated.  I was in a car accident (details in another post) and going up and down the stairs to get my supplies up here is an issue.  However, I can see that the visits to my shop are steadily falling because there is no new merchandise.  Maybe this weekend I'll try to get Marty to bring things up for me but that won't be easy on either of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment